The KCS dates to 1887 and, according to its SEC filing, serves a 10-state area in the United States including Missouri, Alabama, Louisiana, Mississippi, and Texas. KCSM operates a 50-year rail concession from the Mexican government from the Pacific Ocean port of Lazaro Cardenas, northeast to Texas and the United States. The two subsidiary railroads are connected by 157-mile Texas Mexican Railway Company, known as Tex-Mex. Together the railroads form an approximately 6,700-mile network.
In 2019, the company told the SEC, its railroads say Chemical & Petroleum products represent 26% of its railroad traffic followed by Industrial & Consumer Products, 21%; Agriculture & Minerals, 17%; Intermodal, 13%; Automotive, 9%; Energy, 9%; Other commodities, 5%.
Officers (as of November 2022)
- Patrick J. Ottensmeyer — President and Chief Executive Officer
- Warren K. Erdman — Executive Vice President, Administration and Corporate Affairs
- Michael J. Naatz — Executive Vice President and Chief Marketing Officer
- John Orr — Executive Vice President — Operations
- Jeffrey M. Songer — Executive Vice President — Strategic Merger Planning
- Michael W. Upchurch — Executive Vice President and Chief Financial Officer
- Oscar Augusto Del Cueto Cuevas — KCSM President, General Manager and Executive Representative
- Lora S. Cheatum — Senior Vice President and Chief Human Resources Officer
- Adam J. Godderz — Senior Vice President — Chief Legal Officer and Corporate Secretary
- Suzanne M Grafton — Vice President & Chief Accounting Officer