Model Railroader‘s 2013 project layout is located on our HO scale club layout, the Milwaukee, Racine & Troy. It’s a 2 x 12-foot scene with many interesting aspects including making the quarry pit for Larson Stone Co. extend into the aisle.
Registered users can click the following links to download the first video and the desktop wallpaper. Model Railroader subscribers can download the track plan and watch the multi-part video series on building the layout from start to finish.
- Download the Winter Hill track plan (including ideas for building your own version)
- Building the HO scale Winter Hill video series
- Part 1: Learn about this 2 x 12-foot model train layout built by the Model Railroader staff
- Part 2: Planning the terrain of the model railroad
- Part 3: How to transfer the track plan to the benchwork
- Part 4: How to install roadbed and lay track
- Part 5: How to solder model railroad track feeder wires
- Part 6: How to weather model railroad track with an airbrush
- Part 7: How to model a distant treeline on a model railroad backdrop
- Part 8: How to make Hydrocal rock castings for model railroad scenery
- Part 9: How to paint and weather model rock castings for scenery along the railroad
- Part 10: Building a trackside asphalt factory for the quarry branch train layout
- Part 11: Kitbashing a gravel loader for the Winter Hill Model Railroader layout project
- Part 12: Painting the quarry scene on the backdrop