Burlington Northern Santa Fe Corp. created on September 22, 1995, when BN bought AT&SF’s corporate Parent. Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railway merged into Burlington Northern Railroad on December 31, 1996, and BN renamed Burlington Northern & Santa Fe Railway. Name shortened to BNSF Railway Company in 2005.
Chartered in 1859 as the Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe. Burlington Northern Santa Fe Corp. created on September 22, 1995, when BN bought AT&SF’s corporate Parent. Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railway merged into Burlington Northern Railroad on December 31, 1996, and BN renamed Burlington Northern & Santa Fe Railway.
Toledo, Peoria & Western’s first ancestor, Peoria & Oquawka Eastern Extension begins construction, began construction in 1855, three years after charter. Renamed Toledo, Peoria & Western in an 1880 reorganization. Half interests bought by Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe and Pennsylvania Railroad in 1960. ATSF bought PRR’s half after 1976. TP&W merged into Santa Fe on January 1, 1984. Main line sold by AT&SF on February 1, 1989 to new investors, who reused TP&W name. Acquired by RailAmerica in September 1999, still operated as TP&W.
Created March 1, 1970 by merger of Chicago, Burlington & Quincy; Great Northern; Northern Pacific; and Spokane, Portland & Seattle.
Begun in Missouri as branch of Pacific Railroad in 1853. Name changed from Atlantic & Pacific to St. Louis-San Francisco-“Frisco” for short-as part of 1875 receivership. Acquired by Burlington Northern on November 21, 1980.
Carrollton Short Line Railway chartered in 1897. Name changed to Alabama, Tennessee & Northern in 1906. AT&N purchased by St. Louis-San Francisco on December 28, 1948, and merged into SLSF on January 1, 1971.
Colorado Central opened a standard-gauge line from Denver in 1870. Several predecessors, including Fort Worth & Denver City, consolidated as Colorado & Southern in 1898; two-thirds control of C&S-FW&DC acquired by CB&Q in 1908. FW&DC drops “City” in 1951 to become Fort Worth & Denver. C&S officially merged into Burlington Northern in 1981; FW&D merged into BN in 1982.
Incorporated by James J. Hill in 1905 as Portland & Seattle. Name changed to Spokane, Portland & Seattle in 1908. SP&S was financed and owned jointly by Hill’s GN and NP. Absorbed in March 1, 1970 Burlington Northern merger, along with Chicago, Burlington & Quincy; Great Northern; and Northern Pacific.
Construction began in 1870, six years after charter as the land-grant Northern Pacific.
Minnesota & Pacific chartered in 1857. Its successor, and others, renamed by James J. Hill to Great Northern in 1881.