Prototype: The Pennsylvania Railroad’s class Q2 comprised of one prototype and twenty-five production duplex steam locomotives of 4-4-6-4 wheel arrangement. They were the largest non-articulated locomotives ever built and the most powerful locomotives ever static tested, producing 7,987 cylinder horsepower on the PRR’s static test plant. They were by far the most successful duplex type. The duplex propensity to slip was combated by an automatic slip control mechanism that reduced power to the slipping unit. Despite overall success, the Q2s were all out of service by 1951. With dieselization, they were the obvious first targets to be withdrawn since they were only a little more capable than the conventional J1 class 2-10-4s but with far higher operating and maintenance costs.
The Model: I reviewed was one of about two thousand four hundred made. As I said before this locomotive is made of 95% Brass and is one outstanding engine. The model is painted in Pennsylvania Railroads Brunswick Green and features correct gold leaf lettering. The model has hundreds of separately applied details, which is the reason they made so few. The tender behind the locomotive, is a 18000 gallon tender, which has the coal bunker sides bent in a few degrees, just like the Pennsy did.
Performance: I tested the locomotive using a Digitrax System. The Q2 accelerated smoothly and starts running at speed step one. Broadway Limited put momentum on it default. Unlike most companies decoders, the Q2 will stop slower or quicker depending on the grade and the load. The Q2 can pull 24 hoppers up a 2% grade at any speed you through at it.
Sound effects: The whistle is crisp and clear and is as loud as a HO model can be. As the locomotive fought its way upgrade, the steam chuff sounds intensified. The locomotive comes from the factory with built in momentum which is awesome.
Broadway Limited Imports
9 East Tower CircleOrmond Beach, FL 32174
Road names (two road numbers each): Pennsylvania Railroad (comes in Prototype version #6131 and three production numbers. Also available is a Painted, Unlettered model, and a Varnished brass model.
Era: 1944 to 1951
- Super-Heavy Weighted Brass Construction and Detail
- Features the ALL-NEW Paragon2 SOUND & Control System
- Integral DCC Decoder with Back EMF for Industry Best Slow Speed Operation in DC and DCC (1 smph @ 128 Speed Steps)
- Precision Drive Mechanism with sprung drivers engineered for continuous heavy load towing
- and ultra-smooth slow speed operation
- Fly-Wheel Synchronized Puffing Smoke and Chuff
- Grade & Load-sensing variable Smoke & Chuff Intensity (Less smoke and lighter chuff sounds
- when on a decline/less load; more smoke and belabored chuff when on inclines/more load.)
- 5-Pole Can Motor with Skew Wound Armature
- Premium Caliber Painting with Authentic Paint Schemes
- Operating Cab Roof Vents
- Operating Metal Knuckle Couplers (2)
- Factory Installed Engineer and Firemen Figures
- Minimum radius: 22 radius or greater recommended
Industry-Leading SOUND / OPERATION Features:
- Operates with SOUND in DC & DCC (use DCMaster for DC sound)
- Prototypical Light Operation with Golden White LED Headlight
- AUTO PILOT (ATS) – Records and plays back sound and movement
- sequences for automated operation. (Macro Operation)
- 16-bit Sound System for exceptional high frequency sound clarity
- Mechanically Synchronized Distinctive PRR Q2 Chuff sounds and correct chuff / revolution rate
- Playable/Quillable Whistle for multiple whistle lengths & patterns
- Choice of up to 3 selectable Whistles with Authentic Q2 Whistle
- Adjustable bell ringing interval for faster or slower bell
- Numerous user-mappable functions with available keys
- Reversing Mechanism Sound at Direction Change
- Air let-off, Air Pump, Blow Down, Pop-Off, Injector, Brake Squeal
- Passenger Station Announcement Sounds- Controlled with Function Key
- Freight Yard, Lumber Yard, Maintenance Yard – Controlled with Function Keys
- Grade Crossing Automatic Signal
- Simple Programming with Integral DCC Decoder
- Automatic Forward / Reverse Signal – When activated, stopping triggers a stop whistle toot.
- When moving forward from a stopped position, toots twice. When moving in reverse, toots three times.
- Engine sound intensity varies with load
- Individually adjustable sound volumes for each effect
- EZ Reset Button for quick return to factory default settings