Amtrak California passenger cars
Scale: HO (1:87.1)
Price: Single car with NCE decoder with lighting functions, $149.99; with dual-mode SoundTraxx Tsunami SoundCar, $199.99. Four-pack with NCE decoder with lighting functions, $579.99; dual-mode SoundTraxx Tsunami SoundCar, $649.99
Manufacturer: Athearn Trains, 2904 Research Rd., Champaign, IL 61822, 800-338-4639, athearn.com
Amtrak California passenger car features:
- All-wheel electrical pickup
- Cab coaches have original or modified headlight and antenna arrangements
- Dining cars have upper level serving area and lounge furnishings
- Dual-mode NCE decoder with lighting functions (non-sound models)
- End details including train line hoses and head-end power receptacles
- Interior stair and luggage rack detail
- Lighting features include flashing ditch lights, operating red strobe and marker lights, illuminated destination boards, and interior (certain features only offered on sound-equipped cab coaches)
- McHenry scale couplers
- Prototype-specific interior details
- Separate colors for floors, walls, seats, tables, and control compartment
- Sounds recorded from full-size California cars (sound-equipped models)
- Tinted window glazing
- Scheduled for release in August 2023
Car types: Cab coach (Mount Pinos), coach (Sacramento River, Klamath River, and Pit River), dining car (Salinas Valley), and four-car set (cab coach Mount Soledad, coaches San Lorenzo River and Trinity River, and dining car Coachella Valley).
News & Products is a regular feature of Trains.com for model railroad operators and builders to get the latest information about locomotives, freight cars, passenger cars, tools, track, and more. Model railroad product news may include HO, N, O, S, and Z scales. Product release dates and prices will vary according to each manufacturer.
If you are a manufacturer and have new product releases, please email Senior Editor Cody Grivno at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.