
WASHINGTON — Marc Molinaro, head of the Federal Transit Administration, has resigned his position as of today (Friday, Feb. 20), reportedly to run for the New York State Assembly.
Molinaro said in a social media post last week that he was “coming home to be closer to my family and get back into the fight.” In a post today, he said he was “honored & grateful” to work for President Trump and Transportation Secretary Sean Duffy “advancing safer, more accountable, more efficient transit nationwide.”
Molinaro served one term in the U.S. House of Representatives beginning in 2021. He also was the Republican candidate for New York governor in 2018, after six years in the state assembly and three three-year terms as executive of Duchess County, N.Y. He was confirmed as FTA administrator last August by a 71-23 vote [see “Molinaro confirmed …,” Trains.com, Aug. 3, 2025].
Politico first reported Molinaro’s plans to run for the assembly. The New York Times characterized the possible move from “a position that oversees a staff of more than 600 to an office with about six aides” as “highly unusual in the world of politics, where ambition typically leads in only one direction, up.”
Molinaro has not yet announced his plans but told the Mid-Hudson News he would be making an official statement in the next few days.
— To report news or errors, contact trainsnewswire@firecrown.com.
