Passenger Commuter & Regional Caltrain warns of significant cuts without new funding

Caltrain warns of significant cuts without new funding

By Trains Staff | November 8, 2025

| Last updated on November 10, 2025


Board told of potential impacts if November 2026 ballot measure fails

Email Newsletter

Get the newest photos, videos, stories, and more from Trains.com brands. Sign-up for email today!

People on platform taking photos of new train
Caltrain is warning of significant service impacts if a November 2026 ballot initiative to support Bay Area transit fails with voters. Caltrain

SAN CARLOS, Calif. — Caltrain has become the latest commuter operator to outline dire operational impacts without new funding — in this case, a regional funding measure to be on the ballot a year from now, in November 2026.

As outlined at the November meeting of the Caltrain board, potential impacts without funding from the initiative could include closing more than one-third of stations, ending weekend service, reducing service to once an hour, ending operations by 9 p.m., and cutting some segments of service.

These potential cuts come at a time when, the operator says, September ridership was up 55% over the same month a year ago, with weekend ridership having doubled and four consecutive months with over 1 million riders, following the switch to electrified service between San Francisco and San Jose.

“Caltrain has made tremendous strides in improving service, expanding ridership, and earning the trust of our riders and communities,” Executive Director Michelle Bouchard said in a press release. “The regional funding solution would provide a sustainable funding source to continue those efforts, but should it fail to pass we will face a number of scenarios that will affect years of progress, affect tens of thousands of daily riders who depend on Caltrain, increase traffic, and adversely affect the Bay Area’s economy.”

The ballot measure, authorized by a bill signed into law last month by Gov. Gavin Newsom, will ask voters in Alameda, Contra Costa, San Francisco, San Mateo, and Santa Clara counties to approve an additional half-cent sales tax for a 14-year period that is projected to raise $980 million annually. About 60% of the revenue from that tax would go to preserving operations of Caltrain, BART, San Francisco Muni, AC Transit, and several smaller transit operations. About a third would go to the Santa Clara Valley Transportation Authority, San Mateo County bus operator SamTrans, and transportation agencies in Alameda and Contra Costa counties.

Caltrain says it has already worked to address budget shortfalls, reflecting changes in post-pandemic commuter habits, with cost-cutting measures including hiring freezes, crewing changes, and reductions to non-labor expenses, as well seeking additional revenue from sources such as advertising and transit-oriented development.

7 thoughts on “Caltrain warns of significant cuts without new funding

  1. What is says is that Caltrain needs a dedicated funding source. It doesn’t have one and never has since it was created in the 1980s. Funding for Caltrain comes from the counties and transit agencies (VTA, SamTrans and SFMuni) that created Caltrain in the first place (its full name is the Peninsula Corridor Joint Powers Authority, California loves “joint powers authorities.”) But the funding isn’t automatic.

    And Robert McGuire: Who do you think benefits from increased ridership of public transport? EVERYONE. Less traffic means less pollution means better public health.

  2. CHARLES—You said: “If I am a billionaire, (I’m not), I’m willing to pay taxes for transit subsidies but not for free rides.” We can say that because neither you nor I are billionaires, and I would say that neither you nor I would have a problem paying those taxes for subsidies if we suddenly became billionaires. Today’s billionaires do not think that way. The less taxes they have to pay the happier they are and are basically looking for a “free ride” in that respect. How many billionaires would invest in passenger rail if it was all privatized with no subsidies. That’s all my opinion, and my opinion only.

    1. PS: I should say that the less taxes I have to pay, the happier I am and since I am retired it’s not that much, but I have always paid my share.

  3. Is there commuter rail anywhere in the world that pays its capital and O&M? I think not.

    Sales tax is regressive. Tax the billionaire tech oligarchs to pay for FREE transit. They’re the ones that created the bay area dystopia.

    1. GREGG — The issue isn’t the subsidy — we know that. The issue is that the subsidy keeps growing in an endless loop.

      If I’m a billionaire (I’m not) I’m willing to pay taxes for transit subsidies but not for free rides.

      In Milwaukee people are starting to ask questions about the free rides on the useless trolley.

  4. More funding needed for public transit? Ok, let’s screw the taxpayers again. Hopefully the people will realize that this has to stop and vote down this tax increase that will only go to benefit those who ride Caltrain. Raise the fares instead. Let those who use the service pay for it.

  5. Well, what do you expect me to say? The well-established, heavily patronized, frequent and fast running Caltrain can’t make it. What does that say about the marginal carriers?

You must login to submit a comment